Have You Tested Your Home?


What is radon? Radon is a radioactive gas. It is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and chemically inert. Unless you test for it, there is no way of telling how much is present.



How does radon get in my home? Radon enters your home in several different ways. Some ways include: cracks in concrete slabs, spaces behind brick veneer walls that rest on uncapped hollow-brick foundation, pores and cracks in concrete blocks or concrete walls, exposed soil (as in a sump), weeping drain tile (if drained to open sump), building materials such as some rocks, water (from some wells).



Why should I be worried about radon? Radon is estimated to cause about 21,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the United States. It is the #1 cause of lung cancer in non-smokers. Radon-induced lung cancer typically develops 5-25 years after exposure.



How do I test my home for radon? Get a free test kit at Walsh County Health District, and follow the directions for testing your home.

What is an acceptable level for radon?Anything less than 4 pCi/L is ideal. It is recommended to take action if it is above 4 pCi/L.



How do I take action if my level is above 4 pCi/L? Installing a radon reduction system (fan system) is typically the most effective way of getting radon out of your home. Click here for a list of mitigation personnel located in North Dakota.

ND Dept of Environmental Quality


Environmental Protection Agency


Radon Contractors


Stop by Walsh County Health District, or call (701) 352-5139 to get a FREE radon test kit.